jaya rādhā girivaradhārī śrī nanda-nandana vṛṣabhānu dulārī vṛṣabhānu dulārī rādhe vṛṣabhānu dulārī
“All glories to Srimati Radharani and Giri Vara Dhari! He is the son of Nanda Maharaja. She is the darling of Maharaja Vrisabhanu.”
Often few so-called followers of Acarya Madhva are caught saying that Srimati Radha Rani is not accepted at all by their Sampraday, for she is not mentioned by any of their previous Acaryas even once. However, Madhva Sampradayik authorities and their real followers disagree with this claim.
HG Hariparshad Prabhu shows the evidence of Sri Vanamali Mishra, who was a prominent Madhva Acarya of the 17th century.
Sri Vanamali Mishra himself in His commentary on Bhagavad Gita called “Gita Gudartha Chandrika”, In the beginning of the 12th chapter glorified Srimati Radha Rani, let alone be the question of a mere mention—
क्रीडन्तं राधया सार्धं वन्दे श्रीनन्दनन्दनम्
“Obeisances to Lord Krishna, who is sporting with Srimati Radha Rani.”
Vanamali Mishra wasn’t a random & infamous follower of Madhva Sampraday. He was a brilliant champion of the Madhva school. He has even contributed in refuting Advaita vedanta vidwans on behalf of Madhva school, and was very much inspired by Vyasatirtha.
- The all renowned Madhva scholar, none else than BNK Sharma himself in page no. 155 of his work called “History of Dvaita school of Vedanta and its Literature.” mentions Vanamali Mishra as a Purv Madhva Acarya and the one who composed a refutation of Advaitin works.
- Vanamali Mishra’s Gita bhasya was published by a Madhva publication house themselves, named Satyatirtha Pratishthan.
- Dr. A.V. Nagasampige personally has edited Vanamali mishra’s work such as “ShrutiSiddhanta Sangraha” with useful notes and a valuable introduction. Dr. A.V. Nagasampige is none other than a renowned sanskrit scholar in the line of Madhvacarya & former Principal of Poornaprajna Vidyapeetha Sanskrit Pathashala.
- Vanamali Mishra’s work called “madhva mukhalankara” was published by Govt. Sanskrit College, Varanasi with the financial help of none other than Sri Satyadhyana Tirtharu himself. Satyadhyana Tirtharu was none other than the 38th acarya of the Uttaradi Math of the Madhva sampraday.
A Tattvavadi friend of ours informs us that there are more Madhva acaryas who had mentioned Srimati Radha Rani, they are, famous Sripad Kanaka Dasa (Prabhu), and Sripad Vijaya Dasa (Prabhu).
Sripad Kanaka Dasa from the Haridas tradition of Madhva Sampraday, In his work called “Kriti Yadavaraya” glorifies Srimati Radha Rani. He says —
ರಾಧಾ ಮುಂತಾದ ಗೋಪಿಯರೆಲ್ಲ||ಮಧುಸೂಧನ ನಿನ್ನ ಸೇವಿಸುತೀರೇ||
Devanagari translation: Rādhā muntāda gōpiyarella|| madhusūdhana ninna sēvisutīrē||
English translation: “Sri Krishna, the champion of the Yadavas, when you play on your flute in Vrinadavan; Srimati Radha and other Gopis always rejoices and serve you, O Madhusudana (glory to you).”
Sripad Vijaya Dasa from the same haridasa tradition of Madhva sampraday had composed a complete work dedicated to Radha Rani; called “Radhika hrudaya ambuja ninda”. And even mentioned her in one of pallavi of his Kriti named Kadana Vatsava Hari as follows:
कादन वत्सव हरि कादन वेदवेद्य साधु वन्दित राधिका रमण कृष्ण ||
- Question— Though some of the prominent acaryas from Madhva Sampraday have glorified Srimati Radha Rani, why the sampraday in general mentioned her in less number?
Answer— Madhva Sampraday prefers Dwarkanath Sri Krishna with Aishwarya Rasa than Vrindavan Krishna. Madhva Sampraday does not find Madhurya bhaav as their first choice or taste, for they are situated in Dasya bhaav, in Aishwarya rasa. Even among Vrindavan Leelas, they are more devoted to Baal Krishna. Due to these reasons, they do not have much connection with Radha Rani, resulting into less mentions of her in their works.
All Glories to Srila Prabhupada!